THE EVACUEE





THE EVACUEE

Published in 'Voices' issue 17 winter 2009

As well as hearing a lot on Radio 4 about the evacuees of the 
Second World War, I thought I'd send this lovely poem 
written by an evacuee to my friends: who I met on a train
during the war when I was in The Women's Royal Naval
Service. They invited me to visit them in Devon. Which I did
and we became great friends.

Alex, the author of the poem, kept in contact and returned
often to Devon to visit the people who looked after them. He
and his sister, and their mother were evacuated from London
when he was 5 and she was 4.

Win and Frank were only down to take one child, which was
compulsory - but they would not part brother and sister so
took them both.

Doreen Cunningham


The Evacuee

You took me in, a stranger
And loved me as your own.
Thank you.

Bombs blitzed families apart
Blown to strange, far off places
Fear not.

De-bus, queue for billeting.
You chose me; lost and frightened.
Have faith.

No threat or conflict would scar.
Sheltered, loved, encouraged.
Grew strong.

Time soon passed; to return home.
Matured the boy to the young man.
Go forth.

Exhorted, nurtured. I learnt
To try beyond any doubt.
Well done.

You took me in, a stranger.
I left you as your son.
Bless you.